1 Full Credit
Instructor Maggie Purifoy, homeschooler of her 3 children, has spent several years in the classroom both in Europe and America. This course approaches literary analysis of novels, plays, and poetry via lively discussion. Varied writing assignments, including the comparison essay, the expository essay, and the thesis paper, flow from this analysis.
The books we will be reading are:
- Johnny Tremain by Esther Hoskins Forbes,
- The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain,
- Across Five Aprils by Irene Hunt,
- The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom,
- A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens,
- Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie,
- The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien,
- Shakespeare’s Much Ado About Nothing, and
- some short stories in the spring
- Each student needs a Writing and Rhetoric book as a guide for instruction. Parents will need the Teacher’s Edition which provides a clear rubric to grade each writing assignment. In the second semester, we will begin Book 10. It is a very comprehensive, step-by-step guide.